MongoDB is a powerful, flexible and salable data store. It have some features such as secondary indexes, range queries, sorting as well as built in support for MapReduce-style aggregation.
MongoDB is a document oriented database, not a relational one.
Document oriented database have more features than relational databases. The basic idea is to replace the concept of a 'row' with more flexible model 'document'. Also mongodb is schema free database, No joins and lot easier to handle data.
- Document is basic unit of data in MongoDB, like row in a relational database.
- Collection is like a table in relational database.
- Every documet has a special key called "_id".
- Download the appropriate version : http://www.mongodb.org/downloads
- Windows version
- Extract downloaded zip file. (Ex: C:\my_mongo_dir)
- Go to bin directory and start the mongodb server by double clicking the mongod.exe (Before that create data/db folder inside the C:\ drive)
- After that start the mongo shell by double clicking the mongo.exe (It will start a shell and you can type commands)
- Linux Version
- Extract downloaded tar file.
- Create /data/db in root path.
- ./mongod to start the mongo server.
- ./mongo to start the mongo shell.
In the next part I'll show some basic commands such as creating, remove and update documents and collections in mongoDB.